St. Peter Claver School
St. Peter Claver is the oldest black school, public or private, still functioning in Hillsborough County. Opened on February 2, 1894, it was destroyed by arson ten days later. The Catholic Church rebuilt the school one year later at its present location, in what was then called The Scrubs area. Nuns faced prosecution by authorities in 1916, when they continued to teach black students, but were cleared because the school was privately operated.