If you're visiting Central Florida and would like to explore the region here are a few places that are well worth driving "Off the Beaten Path:"
- Forever Florida, located on a 4 700-acre cattle ranch and nature preserve, offers three types of zip-line safaris.
- Take a walking tour of Main Street DeLand's famous town murals.
- Explore DeLeon Springs State Park in DeLand through a 50-minute eco/history boat tour that departs every hour from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Go birding at the Lake Woodruff National Wildlife Refuge, also in DeLand, and rent a paddleboat or hike the four-mile Wild Persimmon Trail.
- Drive to the Ocala forest for a horseback ride at the Florida Carriage Museum, nestled in 400 bucolic acres in Florida’s horse country. You can also tour the museum's 160 carriages, including elaborate royal models.
- Take a glass bottom boat tour at Silver Springs State Park near Ocala.
- Check out the Charles Hosmer Morse Museum of American Art in Winter Park to see the largest collection of Louis Comfort Tiffany artwork in the world.
- Tour the 12 Frank Lloyd Wright buildings in Lakeland's Florida Southern College campus.
- Take a Segway tour of Mount Dora which begins below sea level and soars up a large (Florida-style!) hill. Afterward go antiquing.
- Drive through the Ridge Scenic Highway a 38.7-mile route on SR 17 that travels through many historic communities.
- Investigate Spook Hill in Lake Wales and see if your car rolls backward up the hill.
- Visit Lake Wales meandering through Bok Tower Gardens while the 60-bell carillon gives one of its twice-daily concerts.
If you can't fit all this into one trip we recommend that you come back again soon to explore more of Central Florida's many charms!
- 13 minute read
Escape the long lines and crowded theme parks. These Florida roadside attractions are just as fun but offer unusual twists ranging from shrunken...
- 12 minute read
By Lauren Tjaden In a heady combination of rare animals and wild entertainment, Animal Kingdom Theme Park at Walt Disney World Resort in Orlando...
- 12 minute read
By Lauren Tjaden Enchantment comes to life at Walt Disney World’s Magic Kingdom in Orlando, with its lavish fantasy worlds, scream-inducing...
- 5 minute read
By Chelle Koster Walton As the sky began to sprinkle with rain, the part-time Walt Disney Resorts employee surprised her out-of-town guests....