Five Spring Golf Trips in Florida
By Tim McDonald
The weather is so nice here in Florida these days, it makes you want to whistle. That's right: whistle. Whistling is one of the ultimate expressions of human happiness, along with humming, hugging and singing Motown with reckless abandon.
So whistle along while you consider my top five Florida spring golf trips.
- Southwood Golf Club. This terrific golf course in the state's capital now has a stay and play option in quaint cottages. The area around Tallahassee is one of the prettiest springtime destinations in the South, with azaleas busting out loud and proud everywhere you look.
- Speaking of nature and beauty, Amelia Island is one of the prettiest spots on earth, and just happens to have some excellent golf options, like the 54 holes available to golfers via the Omni Amelia Island Resort.
- La Playa Beach and Golf Resort in Naples was just named the top golf resort in Florida by readers of Conde Nast Traveler. What azaleas are to North Florida, bougainvillea is to the south. As a fascinating aside, I just spelled bougainvillea without spell check.
- I've always loved the Westin Diplomat in Hollywood for its ultra-distinct tropical look, with the banyan trees, Royal Palms and iguanas. Service here is impeccable, the clubhouse is spectacular and the beach is just a 5-iron away.
- Plantation Golf Resort and Spa in Crystal River is away from the tourists and maddening crowds, and is a perfect place to relax. You can golf or swim with the manatees, but not vice versa. They call this the Nature Coast, and spring is the best time to enjoy its bountiful, bodacious beauty.