Community of Royal/Ebenezer African Methodist Episcopal Church
When slavery was abolished in 1865, the Royal community was founded by former slaves from the old Green Plantation located near the Withlacoochee River. Moving further inland to farm for themselves, the former slaves built log cabin homes and dug wells for water. The community was called Picketsville because of the white picket fences designating each 40-, 80- or 120-acre homestead. In 1875, the Reverend Alfred Brown built the first church, Ebenezer AME Church. Four churches have been built on the property, two wooden and two block. The present structure was completed in 1977. The site is now home of the Royal Volunteer Fire Department and the Royal Community Center/Library.