Dr. James F. Sistrunk Boulevard Historical Marker at the Von Mizell Library
Dr. James F. Sistrunk was the first black medical doctor to practice in Ft. Lauderdale and the only one for almost 16 years. With his partner, Dr. Von Mizell, Dr. Sistrunk solicited financing for Provident Hospital, which opened in 1938 to serve the city's black population. Dr. Sistrunk served as Chief of Staff and Assistant Director of Obstetrics and Gynecology, delivering nearly 5,000 babies during his 40-year career. In recognition of his distinguished civic and medical service, this street was dedicated to him in 1971.