The American Beach historic district is at the south end of Amelia Island. In 1935, A.L. Lewis, president of the Pension Bureau of the Afro-American Life Insurance Company bought 33 acres of oceanfront property. Company employees were invited to use the beach and the company held outings on the property. Later subdivided, lots were sold to company executives and shareholders. The Pension Bureau acquired more land and developed an oceanfront resort, providing an open pavilion, guest houses and vacation homes for purchase.