Kingsley Plantation, Timucuan Ecological and Historic Preserve
Fort George Island, the location of the Kingsley Plantation, was granted by the Spanish government to John McQueen in 1791. In 1798, he built a residence that stands today as the oldest plantation house in Florida. The plantation is named after the island's third occupant, Zephania Kingsley, who moved with his family and 80 slaves to the island in 1814. Spanish land grants, such as that given to McQueen, were common during the late 18th and early 19th centuries and demonstrate the cultural diversity of Second Spanish Florida. The plantation mistress in the early 1800's, Anna Kingsley was born into the Wolof tribe in Africa, sold into slavery, before eventually finding freedom in Spanish La Florida. Stories like hers and the other enslaved residents of Fort George Island are told through the new audio tour available free of charge in the visitor center.