Top 20 Romantic Things to Do in Downtown St. Petersburg
By Dalia Colon
So your heart is full, but your wallet? Not so much.
Don't sweat it. There are so many things to do in St. Petersburg that it's possible to impress the object of your affection without cashing out your 401(k).
Here are 20 date ideas that come in around $20 or less per person.
1) Try on retro clothes and accessories at ARTpool Gallery & Vintage Boutique, then take a load off with coffee, drinks or lunch in the ARTpool Cafe.
2) Prove how cultured you are by treating your date to a Sunday afternoon chamber music concert at the Museum of Fine Arts.
3) Talk about a hot date: Watch a glass-blowing demonstration at Morean Arts Center.
4) There's always something unique happening at the Studio@620, from art shows to concerts to plays — and many events are cheap or pay-what-you-can.
5) The monthly First Friday celebration makes for an easy after-work date, with live music and food specials along Central Avenue.
6) During the Second Saturday Second Saturday ArtWalk, enjoy each other's company as you browse dozens of participating art galleries, nosh on free munchies and wine set out by the gallery owners and take advantage of free trolley rides to help you gallery-hop even faster.
7) Stake out two rocking chairs on the porch of the Vinoy Renaissance St. Petersburg Resort & Golf Club, where you can people-watch, sip free hot chocolate and fantasize about one day splurging for a room at the luxury hotel.
8) Stroll through the Saturday Morning Market and pick out something sweet for your sweetie — say, fresh flowers, handmade jewelry or a jar of local honey.
9) There's something intimate about discussing books together. Spend a quiet evening getting lost in the stacks of St. Pete's massive Haslam's Book Store.
10) A bouquet of flowers lasts a few days, but the memory of strolling hand-in-hand through the Sunken Gardens will last a lifetime.
11) For weeknight fun, head to downtown's Edge District on the third Thursday of the month. That's where you can enjoy street performers, corn hole, restaurant specials and more.
12) Even if you don't cook, you'll look like a gastronomic genius when you bring your beloved to Locale Market. Gawk over the cases of exquisite gelatos, fresh pasta, cheeses and pastries, then head upstairs to the wine bar for small plates.
13) Schedule a tour of 3 Daughters Brewing, a local craft brewery that hosts fun events like Monday trivia nights, Thursday beer growler specials and live music on weekends.
14) Chill with cocktails at the Canopy Rooftop Lounge, a chic meetup spot with private cabanas, electric fire pits and a bird's eye view of the St. Petersburg Yacht Club.
Let’s get physical
15) Stretch yourselves — literally — with a yoga class at the Dalí Museum, then enjoy discounted admission to the galleries.
16) The St. Petersburg Shuffleboard Club, better known as St. Pete Shuffle, is one of downtown's most beloved hipster hangouts. Stop by on a Friday night for a little friendly competition, food and beer vendors, music and more under the stars.
17) Catch a Tampa Bay Rays game at Tropicana Field, then head across the street to celebrate the victory at Ferg's Sports Bar & Grill.
18) Prefer soccer? Cheer on the Tampa Bay Rowdies.
19) Ride bikes along the water in the historic Old Northeast and Snell Isle neighborhoods, whose stately homes just might inspire you to go house-hunting together one day.
20) Intimated by the idea of stand-up paddle boarding? Try the latest fitness craze: land paddling. Seriously, this is a thing.