Elizabeth School in the Dills Community
Groover Road (Private)
Originally housed in the Elizabeth Church, Elizabeth School was established when Miles Groover and his wife, Daisy Black Groover donated land for the new site. The school building was completed as a Works Progress Administration (WPA) project. In 1938 students moved from the Masonic Hall to the new three-room school.
Howard Academy High School
100 East Chestnut Street
The two original Howard Academy buildings burned, and African-American students were taught in local churches and the Masonic Lodge (Solomon Lodge #7) until the two buildings on this site were built. The smaller was used for all grades until the larger building was built to instruct high school students. There is a Historical Marker on Mamie Scott Drive in front of the larger structure.
Adapted from Florida Black Heritage Trail, published by the Florida Department of State, in partnership with VISIT
Additional information can also be found at: http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/milesmedia/floridablackheritage/