5 Ideas for a Girlfriends' Getaway in Orlando
By Dalia Colon
When it comes to choosing a destination for a girlfriends’ trip, Orlando is a no-brainer. It’s easily accessible, with two international airports. And while your posse would probably be content to stay up holed up in your rooms catching up, there are plenty of reasons to get out and about with your gal pals. Here are five not to miss.
1) Fly girls. Ever since Carrie took a trapeze class on Sex and the City, high-flying fun has been on nearly every girl’s bucket list. “It creates this bonding experience because you’re doing something that you don’t think you can do,” says Rhiannon Ellis of Trapeze Federation, which will have you and your BFFs doing backflips during your first two-hour class. “Everyone’s having a good time. They’re experiencing a heightened sensation of whatever they’re feeling -- fear, fun, excitement,” Ellis says. “At the end, you definitely have a stronger bond.”
2) Ice queens. After a day of fun in the sun, chill out at Icebar -- a nightclub carved from 50 tons of frozen water, complete with lights and music. Wednesday is Icebar’s girls’ night out, when ladies get free entry and $4 wine from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m.
3) In the same boat. While you’re saving up for that girls-only cruise, take a mini-getaway by boat. Scenic Boat Tour has been a tradition in Orlando’s Winter Park neighborhood since 1938. “We show you basically the heart of Winter Park -- Rollins Collins, wildlife, beautiful homes,” says boat driver Alan Woods. The cruise lasts an hour and costs just $12 for adults, leaving you with plenty of time and money to explore Winter Park’s museums, shops and cafes.
4) Disney World is your oyster. An adults-only trip to the Happiest Place on Earth means you won’t spend all day waiting in line to ride the teacups. Take an early-morning golf lesson, or stay up late to enjoy the nightlife along Disney’s BoardWalk. At Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort and Spa, treat yourselves to massages or linger over a three-hour chef’s table dinner at Victoria and Albert’s restaurant. And what’s a girlfriends’ getaway without spirited beverages? The Epcot International Food and Wine Festival, happening Sept. 27 to Nov. 11, 2013, satisfies the prereq.
5) Shop it to me. If shopping is your idea of a team sport, then consider Orlando your field of dreams. O-town is a mecca of retail therapy, with Premium Outlets, upscale The Mall at Millenia and much more. Many malls team up with hotels to offer shopping packages, so take advantage of the savings and swag.
For more fun things to do with your crew, check out Visit Orlando’s video Girlfriends Getaway in Orlando.