This archaeological site was famously described and illustrated by botanist William Bartram in 1765. Archaeologist Clarence B. Moore excavated a large and a small mound at the site in 1894. Excavations in the 1950s and by the Florida Bureau of Archaeological Research in the 1980s and 1990s led to the discovery of earthworks, a village area, and evidence of a Spanish Mission occupied by Timucuan Indians. Today the burial mound and site are interpreted as a park in the Mt. Royal Airpark Development.