Located in the restored c.1885 Old Fort Meade School House, this museum features an extensive collection of area artifacts. During the Civil War, Fort Meade was an important Confederate cattle-driving center. In 1864, several Union raids from their post at Fort Myers were directed at Fort Meade. One raid led to a skirmish at Bowlegs Creek south of Fort Meade in April 1864. One Confederate soldier was killed and another was wounded. While the Union troops suffered no casualties, they did not continue their advance on Fort Meade. In May 1864, a larger Union force of over 200 men burned and sacked Fort Meade. They captured seven Confederate prisoners and confiscated more than 1,000 cattle. Nearly 100 Unionist refugees also returned with them to Fort Myers.