J. P. Small Memorial Stadium is the last remaining historic stadium in Jacksonville. The park was first called Barrs Field after local businessman, Amander Barrs, who was president of the Jacksonville Baseball Association. In 1911 Barrs gained control of the area close to downtown Jacksonville from Dr. Jay Durkee who had inherited it from his grandfather, Joseph Harvey Durkee. The historic African American community that emerged in and around the property became known as Durkeeville._Under city ownership in 1926, the recreation field was renamed Durkee Field and sometimes called the Myrtle Avenue Ball Park. Originally used for spring training by the Philadelphia Athletics and the Brooklyn Dodgers, the field was later home to the Jacksonville Red Caps, a local team associated with the Negro Southern Leagues. J. P. Small Park was declared a local historic landmark in 2003.