In 1912 an enterprising ex-sponge diver had a theatre built and called it the DIXIE. Opening April 1913, he imported traveling theatre troupes and presented attractions featuring local talent. In 1915, with the advent of motion pictures, the Dixie Theatre was converted to a movie house. It became the entertainment center for Franklin County and remained so until 1967, when it was closed, shuttered and left to fall in on itself.
In 1994 the Theatre remains were purchased from the City of Apalachicola by the Partington family and in June, 1998 the Dixie opened with their first Professional Theatre Season. June, 2004 brought movies back to the Dixie Theatre for the first time in 37 years. Rex Partington, the last great gentlemen of the Theatre & Co-founder of the Dixie, died in 2006, but left the Dixie Theatre as his legacy... In January 2011, the Dixie purchased PETunia an outstanding shop for pets & their people and the Fund Raising Arm of the Dixie Theatre Foundation; a not-for-profit 501(c)(3) organization. January - March the Dixie produces the best in Live Professional Theatre, Music and Dance. 2013 marks 100 years for the Theatre and the Dixie's 16th Professional Season.