David Raney, a newly arrived merchant from Virginia, constructed a Federal-style house on this site in 1838, and added Greek Revival features to it around 1850. During the Civil War, three of Raney's sons, David, Jr., Edward, and George, served in the Confederate forces. David Raney, Jr. served in the 1st Florida Infantry and then as a lieutenant in the Confederate Marine Corps. He was in command of the Marine detachment on the ironclad CSS Tennessee when it was forced to surrender at the Battle of Mobile Bay in August 1864. Captured and imprisoned at New Orleans, he escaped in October 1864 and returned to duty. Edward Raney served in the 2nd Florida Cavalry and George Raney served in the Confederate infantry. The Raney parents and their three young daughters left Apalachicola when the city was threatened by the Union navy and fled to Bainbridge, Georgia. Legend relates that the ladies of Apalachicola met in the Raney House early in the war to sew a unit flag for local troops. Another legend relates that Franklin County troops were mustered out of service at this site at the end of the war. Exhibits include period furnishings, documents and artifacts, including a collection of Confederate bonds and currency.