William S. Stevens High School
The Stevens School was built for all grades in the 1920s as the Dunbar School, with funding from the Rosenwald Foundation. Dr. William Spencer Stevens for whom the school was named, graduated from Florida State Normal and Industrial College and in 1904 received a medical degree from Meharry Medical College in Nashville, Tennessee. Stevens became the first African American to open a medical practice in Quincy. In 1906, he opened Stevens' Drug Store in downtown Quincy, and in the 1930s built a two-story building that served as a community hospital for the black community. In 1914, Stevens was named supervisor of the Quincy City Schools and in 1925 he began a four-year process to expand Dunbar School. The new school building was renamed in his honor, and Dr. Stevens continued to serve the city of Quincy as Supervisor of City Schools until his death in 1949.