St. James CME Church

This Gothic Revival structure was constructed in 1899 on land purchased by black members of the Trinity Methodist Episcopal Church who formed a separate organization known as the Colored Methodist Episcopal Church. There were at least two earlier structures on the site and it is believed that one of these functioned as a hospital for wounded soldiers from the Civil War Battle of Olustee and as a black school during Reconstruction. The oldest known church building for blacks still standing in Tallahassee, it has been converted for office use.