Sylvania African Methodist Episcopal Church

In the mid 1800s African Americans worshiped with white parishioners at Moss Hill Church. Sylvania AME Church was established as the community's African American church a few miles from Moss Hill. Its deed was signed in county records in 1902. The church was a wood frame building identical to Moss Hill United Methodist Church. The current masonry church is the second structure and houses several pieces of original church furniture