First Providence Missionary Baptist Church

Organized in 1856 as the Colored Providence Baptist Church, the congregation is the oldest black church in Polk County. Known today as the First Providence Missionary Baptist Church, it is located in one of Polk County's oldest settlements of West Bartow. The church served as the place where the South Florida District Association began and where many other black church groups were formed.