Amelia Island Lighthouse
Constructed in 1839 using materials taken from the former 1820 Cumberland Island Lighthouse in Georgia, the Amelia Island Lighthouse is the oldest existing lighthouse in Florida. In June 1861, Confederate authorities ordered the lighthouse to be darkened and its lighting apparatus removed. The lens and other lighthouse equipment was shipped in November 1861 on the Florida Railroad to Waldo for safekeeping and then, in October 1864, moved to Madison. After the Union occupation of Amelia Island in March 1862, Federal military authorities recommended that the lighthouse be relit and, in 1864, the lighthouse was again operational. In 2001, the lighthouse was transferred from the U.S. Coast Guard to the City of Fernandina Beach, which offers public tours of the site.