Booker T. Washington School
Construction of Booker T. Washington School began in 1926 amid protests from white citizens living in the area. Men in the community took turns standing guard at night and working during the day, until the school was built. Officially opened on March 28, 1927, it is now a middle school. This was the first school in South Florida to provide a twelve grade education for black children.