Old Brewster Hospital
Built in 1855, this Victorian style residence was sold in 1901 to the Women's Home Missionary Society of the Methodist Church. Here, the missionary society established the first Jacksonville hospital for blacks and the first training facility for black nurses. The hospital and nursing school were an outgrowth of the Boylan-Haven School, a private institution for black girls also located at that time in La Villa. The hospital moved to other facilities in 1910, eventually relocating to North Jefferson where it became Methodist Medical Center. The Old Brewster Hospital building was moved from its original location to its present site in 2006.