St. James African Methodist Episcopal Church

Organized in 1867, the church purchased land on the corner of East 9th Street and South Cypress Avenue. Sanford's oldest church founded by blacks, St. James is a red-brick English Gothic Revival style building with four matching stained glass windows. Constructed in 1913, it is the work of African American architect Prince W. Spear.