We golfers often make a big deal out of tough, challenging golf courses. We want to test ourselves. We want to see what we're made of, take on the meanest, the most grueling challenge, to see how we stack up as gladiators.
Makes you tired just thinking about it, doesn't it? Look, sometimes you just want an easy round with friends, a little R&R on the course, take a few swings and have a few laughs.
Here are the top five courses in Florida for doing just that. I'm taking into account not just the easy factor, but the surroundings as well: things like scenic value, service, attention to detail, et cetera. Take a look at the slide show at the bottom and you'll see what I mean.
- Bay Point Marriott, Nicklaus course: This used to be one of the hardest courses in the country, but they scaled it back a number of years ago. Conditioning, of course, is immaculate.
- Ponte Vedra Inn and Club, Lagoon course: Barely measures more than 6,000 yards, so even the short hitters can play out here. Superb, tropical scenery.
- Kelly Plantation: One of the most scenic and best-conditioned courses in Northwest Florida, Kelly Plantation is all about having a great time on Choctawatchee Bay.
- Mission Inn, Las Colinas: The inn has another course, El Campeon, that can give you all the trouble you need. Play Las Colinas, "the hills" in Spanish, in this lovely part of central Florida for a relaxing, enjoyable outing.
- Falcon's Fire: Simply one of the best-conditioned resort courses anywhere. You'll never get a bad lie, the fairways are wide as all outdoors and the greens are open and receptive.