Florida features more adventures than there are stars in the sky.
Well, maybe not quite.
Nevertheless, I’m as serious as a stingray when I say you never have an excuse to be bored in the Sunshine State. I put together a little slideshow of some of the Fun-shine I’ve enjoyed, plus an alphabetical list of the adventures with links to where you can enjoy them.
Take a peek!
- Ballooning: I took these pictures on a great flight with Magic Sunrise in Orlando, an adventure you can enjoy in many locations. Here’s an article about it with lots more details and links.
- Bikers: I took the biker pictures at Daytona’s legendary Bikeweek – truly wild!
- Florida Gator Game: The shots were taken at a Gator Game in Gainesville. The college team is legendary as is its tailgating tradition. Here’s a video of the action.
- Golf: Me pathetically clutching a club at the Swiss Water Ski School in Groveland. Obviously you can do this at famous courses all over the state.
- Hang Gliding: These pictures are of me taking a girl for a tandem flight at Quest Air Hang Gliding in Groveland, an adventure you can enjoy at several locations in the state. This blog has links to all of them, plus a little video.
- Horse and rider in the water: I snapped this of a rider and her mount enjoying the waters of Palma Sola Bay in Bradenton. You can go “horse surfing” there with Great World Adventure Tours. Here’s a blog I wrote about it with links and a video.
- Jumping Horse: This is me jumping my horse, Geddy, in a class at Horse Shows in the Sun – aka HITS – in Ocala. It’s a winter show series with international talent that the family can watch for almost nothing. Here’s a blog with links.
- Me and Hog: Getting snuggly with a Red River Hog was part of the fun at the Miami Metrozoo’s Zookeeper for a Day experience.
- Me Standing on Rocks: This was taken at the House of Refuge in Stuart. It’s the oldest structure on the Treasure Coast. It features cool limestone rock formations and a wrecked ship right offshore. Here’s a blog about it, including video.
- Mountain Biking: These shots were taken of me (and by me) of the incredible mountain biking trails at the Santos Trailhead in Ocala. Here’s a link to an article about it with lots more info, including where you can rent bikes and gear.
- Parasailing. The picture is of me and my husband over Key West, where we were enjoying a flight with Sebago. You can enjoy parasailing almost anywhere on the coasts of Florida. Here’s an article with details.
- Racecar Driver: I snapped this picture of a young man competing in the Star Mazda Championship at the opening race at 12 Hours of Sebring. I was honored with dropping the green flag to start this race! Here’s a blog I wrote about it with video.
- Racecar: This is me standing by the stock car I drove at the Daytona International Speedway in the Richard Petty Driving Experience – one of the most thrilling adventures I’ve ever had. Here’s a link to a blog I wrote about it and here’s a video of the experience.
- Sailing: This picture is of me and my girlfriends sailing on a private boat in the gulf, an adventure you can enjoy all over the Sunshine State, from Fernandina Beach to Martin County to Pensacola.
- Sailplane: All the sailplane pictures were taken at and above Seminole Gliderport in Clermont, where my husband and I frequently fly. Here’s a link to a blog with a video of it. Yes, you can go for a Discovery Flight there!
- SCUBA diving: This is my hubby and I diving in the Florida Keys. There are great diving spots all over Florida, but the Keys are particularly awesome because of the living barrier reef that runs parallel to them.
- Skydiving: The pictures are of my buddy Mario and I WAY above Lake Wales. Here’s a blog with lots more info.
- Snorkeling: This is me and my hubby sitting on Sebago’s giant catamaran in Key West waiting to go snorkeling, as part of their power adventure.
- Spring Training Baseball Game: This was a spring training game between the Rays and the Phillies in Charlotte Harbor (the Rays won – here’s a video of that day!). Florida is famed for its Spring Training games, and they are a great bargain. Here’s an article with lots more info – and lots more info on other Florida sports, too.
- Sunset: You can enjoy this everywhere in Florida! The picture was taken in my back yard.
- Tennis: This picture was taken of me enjoying a lesson at the Colony Tennis Resort on Longboat Key. Here’s a blog with lots more info.
- Wakeboarding: The pictures were taken at a private lake I go to in the Lake Mary area with friends. You can enjoy it all over Florida. Here’s a link to a blog with some locations.
- Waterbike: This picture of me was taken in front of the Colony Tennis Resort on Longboat Key. Here’s a blog with lots more info.
Windsurfing: This picture is of my instructor at Calema Windsurfing on Merritt Island – a great place. Here’s an article I wrote about it.