Festival of The Arts Boca
The 9th Annual Festival of the Arts BOCA, presented by the Schmidt Family Centre for the Arts, will bring 10 days of diverse cultural experiences to South Florida March 6–15, 2015 at the Mizner Park Amphitheater and Mizner Park Cultural Arts Center in Boca Raton.
This season’s Festival opens on Mar. 6, 2015 with the Florida premiere of the 10-time Academy Award winning film, "West Side Story."
Other highlights include:
- A performance by husband and wife banjo duo Bela Fleck and Abigail Washburn. Bela Fleck is a 10-time Grammy Award Winner and has been nominated in more categories than any other musician in Grammy history.
- Stars of International Ballet featuring Principal Dancer and Choreographer Guillaume Côté from the National Ballet of Canada & Friends.
- A Mozart Gala bringing together living legend of the flute, Sir James Galway (who performed at the inaugural Festival of the Arts BOCA in 2007).
- Pianist Conrad Tao, who at 13 years old made his debut at the 2008 Festival.
- Arnaud Sussmann, rising star violinist and protégé of the great Itzhak Perlman, with the Festival Orchestra Boca led by Constantine Kitsopoulos.
- The Young People’s Chorus of New York and Beethoven’s Ninth Symphony with Master Chorale of South Florida and Festival Orchestra Boca led by Kitsopoulos.
This season’s compelling Authors & Ideas program brings some of the world’s greatest minds, with six Pulitzer Prizes among them, to South Florida.
The program includes:
- Jamie Bernstein, daughter of treasured composer Leonard Bernstein, accomplished narrator, writer and broadcaster.
- Michael Grunwald, best-selling author, senior staff writer for POLITICO magazine, editor-at-large for The Agenda magazine, and contributor to TIME Magazine, where he was senior national correspondent for seven years, who will speak about “Saving Paradise.”
- Richard Ford, best known for his Pulitzer Prize and Pen/Faulkner award-winning novel "Independence Day," will present “Let Me Be Frank With You.”
- Siddhartha Mukherjee, physician, researcher and Pulitzer Prize-winning author of "The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer."
- Thomas Friedman, New York Times columnist, three-time recipient of the Pulitzer Prize, bestselling author of "The World is Flat," and co-author of "That Used to Be Us: How America Fell Behind in the World It Invented and How We Can Come Back."
- Lucinda Franks, author of memoir, "My Father’s Secret War and Timeless: Love, Morgenthau and Me," who will speak about “Love and Politics.”
- Martin Goldsmith, author of "Alex’s Wake: A Voyage of Betrayal and a Journey of Remembrance" and, previously, "The Inextinguishable Symphony."
If you go... Tickets for the 9th Annual Festival of the Arts BOCA range from $15 to $125 per person and are available at FestivalBoca.com or by calling 866-571-2787. Multi-event and full festival packages are also available. The Mizner Park Amphitheater is located at 590 Plaza Real, Boca Raton, FL 33432.