One of our most memorable summer vacation adventures was without a doubt when we went scalloping for the first time. It was a proud moment when my then 7-year-old scooped up his first one – I still smile just thinking about it.
Now it’s your turn – and planning will be super easy with vacation packages from The Plantation on Crystal River. This is a newly renovated property on Florida’s Nature Coast, just 80 miles north of Tampa, and they have two different scalloping vacation options, one with a guide and one without, from $249 per person.
The package includes:
- Two-night stay in a renovated water view or golf villa
- Guided scalloping tour including mask, snorkel and fins with one of the area’s top captains
- Souvenir bag with mesh scalloping bag, scallop recipes, sunscreen and water
- Chef will prepare the fresh day’s harvest (scallops or fish) and serve it up with two sides
- Breakfast daily
- Ramp launch, trailer storage and seawall tie for those bringing their own boat
If your kids can swim, they can scallop, no doubt. It’s like snorkeling only you carry a mesh bag with you to hold your scallop shells once you pick them off the shallow grass flats of the Gulf. It’s so fun – not to mention tasty.
The Plantation features a full-service marina, 18-hole golf course, 9-hole executive course, Aveda spa, delectable dining and very inviting accommodations. Bonus – you can even swim with the manatees! Plus, they have pontoon or Jon boat rentals, a riverfront pool, croquet and so much more.
Scallop season runs July 1 to Sept. 10, 2012. For reservations and info, call 800-632-6262 or visit their website. Have a blast!!