The Famous Robert Is Here Fruit Stand in Homestead, Florida
By Jeanette Scott
Located just outside Everglades National Park in Homestead, the Robert Is Here Fruit Stand is owned and operated by the legendary Robert. He was indeed "there" the day I visited, and this Santa Claus-esque (he gets that a lot) character was just as friendly and jolly as you would imagine him. Robert is a legend because he started "Robert Is Here" at the tender age of 6. By the time he was 9, he had hired a neighbor to work for him while he was in school. By the time he was 14, he had purchased his first 10-acre property.
Fifty years later and Robert Is Here Fruit Stand has expanded into so much more than a fruit stand, and is bustling with activity on a Saturday afternoon. Robert has been on many national news shows, and it's not hard to see why he continues to thrive.
Robert Is Here of Homestead offers:
- All the fresh fruits and vegetables you can eat. The cashiers are happy to chop up your purchases so you can enjoy them right then and there!
- A large selection of homemade sauces, marinades, jams and dressings.
- Wonderful souvenirs such as shell art and gator-themed chocolates.
- A bustling food counter where you can order fresh milkshakes and fruit drinks.
- Activities for children out back that include a large "zoo" of rare goats, birds and tortoises, and a water play area for especially hot days.
If you go to Robert Is Here Fruit Stand:
Robert Is Here of Miami is open from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. every day from November through August. (They are closed September and October). Early closures occur on Thanksgiving and Christmas only.
Don't miss the live music on weekends from 2-6 p.m. November through March. For more info, visit the website.
Robert Is Here, Inc. 19200 SW 344th St Homestead, FL 33034. Call 305-246-1592.