6 Little Palm Islands in Florida You Should Know About
By Chelle Koster Walton
Indulge your Florida island fantasy, where you can find everything from exclusive private island hideaways to nonchalant seaside resorts.
1. Little Palm Island, Florida Keys: An old wooden ferry boat whisks you to private island elegance South Seas-style, where presidents and celebrities have stayed in days past. Known for its award-winning cuisine and boutique spa, it comes entirely worry-free.
2. Useppa Island, Lee County: Once home to the Izaak Walton Club fishing lodge for tarpon anglers, its turn-of-the-20th-century inn breeds romance and utter relaxation.
3. Palm Island, Charlotte County: A short car ferry ride transports guests to a casual Florida island beach escape.
Complete with vacation home, cottage and villa accommodations, it’s perfect for families and groups.
4. Amelia Island: Southern charm meets gorgeous Florida beach on this island, voted among the Top 10 North American Islands by Condé Nast Traveler’s Readers’ Choice Awards for seven consecutive years.
Accommodations range from beachfront luxury resorts to historic Victorian-style B&Bs like award-winning Elizabeth Pointe, pictured below.
Pool Days, Party Nights
5. Fisher Island, Miami: The erstwhile private winter estate of William K. Vanderbilt, its resort invites guests to “Live Like a Vanderbilt” in villas, suites and cottages – just a short boat ride from the glitzy Miami Beach nightlife.
6. Sunset Key, Key West: Charming, nautically inspired guest cottages cluster around the pool at this tropical island retreat. Come sunset and nightfall, hop aboard the ferry for a quick ride to Old Town Key West’s legendary nightly celebration and party scene.