Situated on the sugary white sands of the Gulf of Mexico, the Loews Don CeSar Hotel was built in the Great Gatsby era of the 1920s.
Today the Mediterranean-style castle by the sea, also known as the Pink Palace, is a luxurious landmark on St. Pete Beach.
The resort was the dream of Thomas Rowe, who opened the hotel in 1928. Construction costs totaled $1.2 million, which may not sound like much today, but it certainly was a boatload of cash for the roaring twenties.
The Don CeSar has been hosting families from around the world for decades. Notable guests throughout history have included American author F. Scott Fitzgerald and his wife Zelda, baseball great Lou Gehrig and even mafia gangster Al Capone.
Ready to plan your own family vacation? Here are nine ways to have the most relaxing vacation you can imagine at the Pink Palace:
1. Toast to a little romance while you’re on vacation and kick back in one of the lounge chairs on the white sand beach.
2. Go for a swim in one of the sparkling oceanfront pools. Or book a spa treatment at Spa Oceana.
3. Enjoy the year-round perfect weather that Florida is famous for and soak up those spectacular views of the Gulf of Mexico.
4. Book the recently renovated penthouse. Check out this timelapse-styled video for an overview of the makeover and a little history lesson, too:
5. Grab a good book and lounge around in one of the beachside hammocks.
6. Indulge your sweet tooth at Uncle Andy’s Ice Cream Parlor. This old-fashioned ice cream shop offers yummy banana splits and strawberry shakes that are homemade and deliciously authentic.
7. Stop and stare at the white-sand beaches. We know you can't get enough of those spectactular views.
8. Dine at the award-winning Maritana Grille, which features an array of gourmet choices, including delicious local seafood dishes.
9. Watch one of Florida's beautiful Gulf Coast sunsets.
Insider Tip: For more help planning your vacation to Florida's Gulf Coast, check out VisitStPeteClearwater.com.
If you go...
The Loews Don CeSar Hotel is located at 3400 Gulf Blvd. on St. Pete Beach. For more info, call 727-360-1881 or check out the hotel online.