The other day I was cleaning out my wallet, and I found all kinds of stuff I didn’t need. Faded receipts. Business cards of people I don’t remember meeting. A sticker bearing the likeness of the late, great pitchman Billy Mays.
Into the garbage it all went. (Well, except for the Billy Mays sticker. I’m saving that for a friend.)
There’s only one thing I can never get enough of in my wallet, and that’s money. If you feel the same way, then consider adding something to your billfold that will actually save you cash: a discount card. Here are three Florida cities offering savings programs.
ORLANDO: Magicard. This little gem is free from the folks at Visit Orlando; for details, click here. You can print your Magicard online, order it in the mail along with a free Vacation Planning Kit or pick one up at the Official Visitor Center. Here’s a sample of the savings:
- $7 off gate admission to LEGOLAND Florida.
- 20 percent off your vacation lodging rental with Elite Homes.
- Free appetizer when you buy an entree at B.B. King’s Restaurant and Blues Club.
SOUTH WALTON: 30A Card. This spring marks the advent of the 30A Card, a membership program good for savings at more than 80 businesses along Northwest Florida’s Highway 30A. The card costs $24.95 and is valid for the rest of this year. You can buy it online at 30Agear.com or at a handful of retail outlets. Discounts include:
- $5 off grocery shopping and delivery service from the Beach Butlers (I love the sound of that).
- Free mimosa or Bloody Mary when you order Sunday brunch at Bloom’s Cafe.
- 15 percent off your purchase at Vintage Mermaids (which sells clothing and accessories -- not mermaids. I checked).
MIAMI BEACH: INcard. Still think you can’t afford to live it up on South Beach? The Miami Beach Chamber of Commerce begs to differ. The organization offers two free discount cards -- the black INcard for Miami Beach residents and the platinum INcard for visitors. Register for yours at MiamiBeachINcard.com, then choose to have it mailed to you or pick it up at the registered pick-up location of the week. Deals include:
- Two-for-one admission at the Museum of Contemporary Art for all INcard holders.
- All INcard holders can get $10 off a South Beach or Little Havana food tour.
- Here are two offers from Essex House Hotel on trendy Collins Avenue: 17 percent off hotel rooms and beverages for black card holders, or 10 percent off hotel rooms, food and beverages for platinum card holders.
I know this is just the tip of the iceberg. If you’re aware of other discount cards that can save vacationers big bucks, leave a link on my Facebook page.