When I was in high school, I asked my dad to drive me to the grocery store. I wanted to make my favorite peanut butter chocolate chip cookies. But instead of reaching for his car keys, my father told me to use what we already had around the house.
“You don’t always have to spend money,” I remember him saying.
That day, I came up with a new cookie concoction: oatmeal raisin with coconut. The cookies were sweet, and so was the lesson -- savor the savings.
If your dad is anything like mine, then he’ll appreciate a frugal Father’s Day gift. Here’s a roundup of freebies dads this weekend.
· Jacksonville Zoo and Gardens: Your dad will go wild for free Sunday admission, which can be his with this coupon.
· World of Golf Hall of Fame: Tee off an entire weekend of special events, including free admission for the public on Sunday. Also on Father’s Day, the first 100 dads will get a free 2013 Hall of Fame Annual, and all dads who tour the Hall of Fame will score a free Class of 2013 Induction mini-poster as they exit the museum.
· Miami Science Museum: Father’s Day is Big Truck and Fast Cars Day at the museum. Dads get in free with a paid child’s admission, and they’re entered into a raffle to win an HP ProBook laptop or a football signed by Miami Dolphins wide receiver Brian Hartline.
· Harry P. Leu Gardens: Everything’s coming up roses because dads get in free.
· SAK Comedy Lab: The improv theater is holding a special Sunday show, and dads get free admission. I happened to be at SAK on Mother’s Day for a VISIT FLORIDA video shoot; the place was so packed that staffers had to bring in extra chairs. Do your dad a favor and get in line early.
· Dinosaur World: Dads get in free on Sunday with a full-price child admission.
· Bruster’s Real Ice Cream: I scream, you scream, we all scream for buy-one-get-one-free cones for dads on Sunday.
· Lowry Park Zoo: On Saturday and Sunday, dads get free admission with the purchase of their child’s full-price ticket.
· Florida Aquarium: On Saturday and Sunday, fathers get in free with the purchase of a full-price admission.
Know of another Father’s Day freebie that’s not on this list? Drop a line on my Facebook page, or send a tweet to @VFSmartTravel