Need an excuse to get out of work on Monday, Aug. 12? We have a benefit golf outing for you. And not just any gathering of a few guys raising a few bucks.
Billy Casper Golf is holding the “World’s Largest Golf Outing” simultaneously at 110 courses in 28 states, raising money for the Wounded Warrior Project, a terrific organization that helps our injured servicemen and women when they come home.
In the WLGO, four-man teams play for prizes on the course in a scramble format, and prizes off the course through fundraising. When you register a team, the WLGO issues a personal team webpage that can be sent to family and friends for donations. Great idea.
Last year, $400,000 was raised by some 8,000 players – four times as many as the previous year. And this year figures to be even bigger.
Florida has 10 courses participating from Fernandina Beach to Palm Beach Gardens to Tampa and points in between. Fees vary by course; call the pro shop for more details or visit the tournament website at www.worldslargestgolfouting.com.
Here are the participating Florida courses:
- Sanctuary Ridge Golf Course, Clermont
- Dunedin Stirling Golf Links, Dunedin
- Fernandina Beach Golf Club, Fernandina Beach
- Magnolia Point Golf & CC, Green Cove Springs
- Bent Creek Golf Course, Jacksonville
- Cimarrone Golf Club, Jacksonville
- Ocala Golf Club
- Eastpointe Country Club, Palm Beach Gardens
- St. Johns Golf & CC, St. Augustine
- The Claw at USF, Tampa