Just because a golf course has a set of red tee markers and a selection of women’s clothing in the pro shop doesn’t make it a great course for women.
Golf courses and resorts are wising up to women’s needs – and their spending power – and now the selection of top-shelf places to play for women has never been better.
Golf Digest recently published its Top 50 Courses for Women in the U.S., grading on the quality of women’s golf programs, flexible playing options (i.e., nine-hole rounds) and variety in teeing grounds and design (i.e., few forced carries). Florida’s greatness shined through to the tune of 10 courses – 20 percent of the list.
Here’s the 10 courses where women should feel especially welcome, in order of appearance on the magazine’s list:
- Omni Amelia Island Plantation Resort (Ocean Links), Amelia Island
- LPGA International (Champions), Daytona Beach
- Grand Cypress Golf Club (East/North), Orlando
- Celebration Golf Club, Celebration
- Southwood Golf Club, Tallahassee
- The Ritz-Carlton Golf Club Grande Lakes, Orlando
- Hammock Beach Resort (Ocean), Palm Coast
- Turnberry Isle Resort & Club (Miller), Aventura
- Panther Run Golf Club, Ave Maria
- The Gasparilla Inn & Club, Boca Grande