There’s not a better golf tournament that you can attend, pound-for-pound, than THE PLAYERS Championship. (In my biased Florida-centric opinion, of course.)
Golf’s major championships require lotteries or tremendous connections just to get a ticket – or a flight across the Atlantic. But in May in Ponte Vedra Beach, you can easily walk through the gates of TPC Sawgrass and see the game’s best play one of the world’s iconic courses.
THE PLAYERS Championship is true to its name, with the strongest field in golf. No amateurs, no sponsor exemptions, no pro-ams. The PGA Tour’s best gather every year at the same spot, playing for a huge purse and one of the game’s most prestigious trophies.
TPC Sawgrass’ Stadium Course was built with spectators in mind, as Pete Dye’s design featured viewing mounds with great vistas of the challenging course. And every year since then the tournament has made the fan experience even better.
What’s new this year at THE PLAYERS? Quite a bit:
- Traffic patterns have been improved (find out more here), and a new “Four for Free” program is in place – fans with four or more guests can park for free on tournament days with a preprinted voucher.
- A “Taste of JAX” pavilion is located between the 11th green and 12th tee, offering fare from local restaurants in a comfortable area featuring upgraded restrooms and big-screen TVs.
- “The Women’s Pavilion” next to the 16th tee will offer interactive activities for all fans.
- “The Kid Zone” that debuted in 2012 is enhanced this year with the “Game Truck”, a mobile video game theatre equipped with HDTVs and a wide variety of video games for Xbox360, Wii and PlayStation3.
- A World Golf Hall of Fame Pavilion in the Stadium Village will include one-of-a-kind items from former PLAYERS champions, like Jack Nicklaus’ fishing pole, Phil Mickelson’s first golf clubs and Greg Norman’s gold putter.
- Fans can now bring in outside food, provided it is wrapped in clear plastic wrap, placed in a clear, gallon-sized bag and checked at the entrance gate. (Outside drinks are not permitted.)
For more information, visit THE PLAYERS website. And don't miss a chance to get to Ponte Vedra Beach during the second week in May.