When I was a kid, I always begged my parents to drive us around at Christmastime so we could admire the holiday lights. This annual ritual ranked right up there with eggnog and visiting Santa for getting into the spirit of the season.
So I can only shake my head when I think of the Space Coast LightFest, a holiday themed drive-through event. I would have traded my best Barbie doll to see it.
This family oriented celebration twinkles into Wickham Park in Melbourne every night from Nov. 18- Dec. 31, 2013. The 1.1 mile long park dazzles visitors with a winter wonderland crafted from hundreds of thousands of lights and animated displays – and it draws over 15,000 vehicles each year.
The finale is the 200-foot-long light tunnel with more than 30,000 bulbs that completes the experience in a pulse of color.
This year's LightFest features a multitude of special events including:
- The Run Among the Lights 5K race to get the season off to a quick start (Nov. 17)
- Stroll Among the Lights (Dec. 14)
- Car shows, including Space Coast Mustang Club Night, Space Coast Camaros Night, Classic Car Night, and Antique Automobile Club Night
- Meet and Greet with Santa
- Live music performances
- Popcorn and Hot Chocolate concession sales to support local Scouting units
You should go! I predict your whole gang will end up being wreathed in smiles.
Please note: The event entrance is via Leisure Way off of Wickham Road. Do not use the main park entrance from Parkway Drive; it is closed during LightFest activities. If you're using a GPS or online mapping program, use 2785 Leisure Way, Melbourne FL, as the destination.