Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world, indeed, it is the only thing that ever has ~ Margaret Mead
The beaches of Brevard County are as varied as they are beautiful.
Among its many offerings, you’ll find Melbourne Beach, a sliver of old-time Florida and a favorite of nesting sea turtles. Then there’s Canaveral National Seashore, a quiet place where the melody of the surf doesn’t compete against cars, music and chatter; a place that offers soul-soothing, empty sweeps of cinnamon-hued sand. And the stretch of Atlantic by the Cocoa Beach Pier is happy and vibrant, a playground for surfers and people escaping the city.
You can give these and other Brevard beaches some love when you take part in the Florida Coastal Cleanup, Sept. 21, 2013, 8 a.m. to noon. Sponsored in Brevard County by the Ocean Conservancy and Keep Brevard Beautiful, the cleanup is the only event at which volunteers are urged to record all of the items they collect. The information is used to educate the community about the problems associated with marine debris and the role we play in solving those problems.
If you go – and I give you a huge props if you do --Keep Brevard Beautiful, Inc., the Ocean Conservancy and event sponsors will supply:
- Trash Bags
- Data Cards
You should bring:
- Drinking Water
- A Snack (if desired)
Besides feeling good about giving back, you’ll snag a free T-Shirt (while supplies last).
Coastal Cleanup 2013 Check-In Sites
North Area Sites
- Haulover Canal, Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge
- Marina Park, Titusville (Island CU*)
- Canaveral National Seashore, Beach 1
Central Area Sites
- Kelly Park, East, MI (Island CU*)
- Cherie Down Park, Cape Canaveral
- Shepard Park, Cocoa Beach
- Lori Wilson Park (N), Cocoa Beach
- Ramp Road Park, Cocoa Beach (Island CU*)
- Pier/Central Park, SR A1A, Patrick AFB
- Lee Wenner Park, Cocoa Village (Island CU*)
South Area Sites
- Castaway Point Park, Palm Bay
- Christenson Landing, Grant
- Pelican Beach Park, Satellite Beach
- Howard Futch/Paradise Beach Park, IHB
- Ocean Ave Beach Park, Melbourne Beach
- Coconut Point Park, Melbourne Beach
- Sebastian Inlet State Park
- Turkey Creek Boat Ramp, Palm Bay - boaters needed
*Boaters/boats needed at Island CU sites
For more information email Jim Kriewaldt at firstname.lastname@example.org.