Art Basel Miami Beach is one of the premier art exhibitions for the entire country. Lasting less than a week a year, the fair has infused the Miami art scene with an unmistakable swagger.
It gives artists, collectors and gallery owners a rare opportunity to see world-class art and to hobnob with the leading players of the international art world. Celebrities flock to South Beach from all over the globe for this event. Exotic cars line Ocean Drive, every luxury hotel suite is booked and the clubs are packed with powerhouse schmoozers.
Here’s a guide to the best parties where art and charity intersect, compiled by Tom Austin and Miami.com.
- The preview starts on Tuesday, Dec. 4, from 5:30 to 10 p.m at The Art Miami Pavilion.
- A $25 contribution to the Miami Art Museum will get you in the door beginning at 5:30.
- The fair opens to the public Wednesday.
- Past attendees included Ricky Martin, Naomi Campbell, Donna Karan, Calvin Klein and Princess Michael of Kent.
- Tuesday, Dec. 4 from 7 to 9 p.m.,
- Museum of Contemporary Art membership, which costs $50 per year and up, enables supporters to attend the MOCA & Vanity Fair party.
- Cocktail fundraiser hosted by Anima Domus and UR New York. The evening includes a raffle of one-of-a-kind art painted Nemo Armchair by Fabio Novembre.
- Tuesday, Dec. 4 from 6 p.m. until 9 p.m.
- Purchase tickets online for $150 for two people.
- Check out The Endless Renaissance – Six Solo Artist Projects and the Art Basel’s Art Public sculpture exhibition out front on the lawn.
- Wednesday, Dec. 5 from 9 p.m. to midnight.
- Open to membership levels at $50 and above.
- Pop-Up Pianos Miami's opening concert with Yuma and auction benefits New World Symphony and Kimbangus Symphony Orchestra in the Congo.
- Wednesday, Dec. 5 from 8:30 to 11:30 p.m. at the Perry Hotel
- Purchase tickets online for $100.
- Features music by the Spam Allstars and a group show of Miami artists called New Work Miami 2013.
- Thursday, Dec. 6 from 7 to 11 p.m.
- Open to MAM Contemporaries or Contributing ($250 and above) members.
- Featuring Postcards from the Weiner Werkstatte: Selections from the Leonard A. Lauder Collection. Also on display: a temporary installation by Miami artist Bhakti Baxter.
- Friday, Dec. 7 from 7 to 10 p.m.
- Open to Wolfsonian Diplomat-level members ($250 per year and up).
- Saturday, Dec. 8 from 10 p.m. until 2 a.m.
- Purchase tickets for $150 online.