If you’re in Tampa, you’re just a splash away from some of the best beaches in the world—and from some awesome beach adventures, too.
Check out these five super-duper Sunshine State experiences!
- Walk on Water: Snag a flight on the new JetLev at the TradeWinds Island Grand, a beachfront resort snuggled against the Gulf of Mexico on St. Pete Beach. It’s a water-propelled jetpack that soars up to heights of 30 feet at 30 miles per hour.
- Ride the Waves: Horse surfing is a little crazy, it’s a lot of fun, and as far as anyone can tell, Bradenton is the only place on the planet to try it. You go for a ride along Palma Sola Bay, take the horses swimming, and then try to stand up on their backs in the water. (Yes, you fall off. Or at least I did.) Just visit www.beachhorses.com. The only way to book a ride is online.
- Meet a Movie Star: The true story of Winter, star of the movie Dolphin Tale, inspires people worldwide. She’s a symbol of courage, perseverance and hope – and Clearwater Marine Aquarium is the only place on the planet you can see her. The aquarium also offers three animal interaction programs, dolphin photo opportunities and stingray feedings.
- Celebrate the Sunset: To take part in this fabulous Florida tradition, surf over to Sunsets at Pier 60, a nightly sunset celebration that takes place from 6 - 9 p.m. in Clearwater Beach. With Ma Nature providing a magnificent backdrop, you’ll see painters at work; admire jugglers, magicians and street performers; listen to music and discover cool crafts. You may even see fire eaters and stilt walkers – and your little ones will love the well-equipped playground.
- Just Breathe: Every Saturday at 8:30 a.m. (weather-permitting), you can enjoy Beach Yoga at Pine Avenue public beach access on Anna Maria Island, Gulf-side. This relaxed, beginner-friendly class is open to all. The cost is by donation. Call 941-794-6723 for more information.