To some of you, 30 is ancient.
For others, as my friend Pete once told me, "I've got T-shirts older than you!" Rather than aggravate the generational divide, I thought we could close the gap with a round of "30 Things to Do in Florida Before You Turn 30."
Here's my list. After you read it, please offer your suggestions.
- Spend New Year's Eve in Key West.
- Swim with the manatees.
- Ride SheiKra.
- Develop a respectable golf swing.
- Eat a Cuban sandwich in Tampa.
- Eat another Cuban sandwich in Miami. Decide which was better.
- Take a surfing lesson.
- Ride in a hot air balloon.
- Go shelling.
- Visit the state's capital.
- Buy a boat. Or better yet, make friends with someone who owns a boat.
- Shop at a farmers market.
- Catch a fish.
- Drink a mojito on South Beach.
- Attend a spring training baseball game.
- Go camping.
- Go glamping. Decide which was better.
- Tailgate at a college football game.
- Attend a beach wedding.
- Stay at a luxury hotel. Or at least have lunch there.
- Take your four-legged friend to a dog beach.
- Drive along one of Florida's heritage trails.
- Eat a kumquat. (But not like this!)
- Go antiquing.
- Attend Gasparilla.
- Climb to the top of a lighthouse.
- Reward yourself with a slice of key lime pie.
- Attend a fruit festival - strawberry, blueberry, grapefruit . . . take your pick.
- Buy a SunPass.
- With the money you'll save on tolls, start a Roth IRA. It's time to grow up, kid.
What else belongs on a list of things to do in Florida before age 30? Leave your suggestions on my Facebook page. Let's all play!