Located just outside Everglades National Park in Homestead, the Robert Is Here Fruit Stand is owned and operated by the legendary Robert. He was indeed "there" the day I visited, and this Santa Claus-esque (he gets that a lot) character was just as friendly and jolly as you would imagine him. Robert is a legend because he started "Robert Is Here" at the tender age of 6. By the time he was 9, he had hired a neighbor to work for him while he was in school. By the time he was 14, he had purchased his first 10-acre property.
Fifty years later and Robert Is Here has expanded into so much more than a fruit stand, and is bustling with activity on a Saturday afternoon. Robert has been on many national news shows, and it's not hard to see why he continues to thrive.
Robert Is Here offers:
- All the fresh fruits and vegetables you can eat. The cashiers are happy to chop up your purchases so you can enjoy them right then and there!
- A large selection of homemade sauces, marinades, jams and dressings.
- Wonderful souvenirs such as shell art and gator-themed chocolates.
- A bustling food counter where you can order fresh milkshakes and fruit drinks.
- Activities for children out back that include a large "zoo" of rare goats, birds and tortoises, and a water play area for especially hot days.
Robert Is Here is open from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. everyday from November through August. (They are closed September and October). Early closures occur on Thanksgiving and Christmas only.
Don't miss the live music on weekends from 2-6 p.m. November through March. For more info, visit the company website.
Robert Is Here, Inc. 19200 SW 344th St Homestead, FL 33034. Call 305-246-1592.