It’s not the best of 10, or 50, or even 100 beaches.
Parents Magazine (the nation's top-selling parenting and family lifestyle magazine) awarded the pristine park top honors on the magazine's 2011 list of the '10 Best Beaches for Families' that hit newsstands recently.
So, what makes it the best?
The water is wonderful. Parents reviewed water-quality reports, closings and advisories for more than 1,000 beaches in the county, and found delightful De Soto as clean as a cat’s conscience. It demonstrated a spotless record following more than 100 tests in 2009 and 2010.
The sandbar is sweet. Mother Nature cleverly formed a sandbar off of the coast, making a natural "kiddie pool" – peachy for little swimmers.
Restrooms, calm surf and lifeguards, oh my! A variety of extras helped shape the final result.
The park features:
· Historic fort
· Seven-plus miles of waterfront, with almost three miles of beautiful, white-sand beach
· 800-foot-long boat launching facility with 11 floating docks
· Picnic shelters
· Two large swim centers at the North Beach Swim Center
· Two fishing piers, each with a food and bait concession
· Ferry Service to Egmont Key
· Concession/Snack Bar/Souvenir Shop
· Quartermaster museum
· Asphalt recreation trail
· Canoe trail
· Nature trail
· Dog park
Where exactly is it? Now you’re talking! The pristine park is nestled against the Gulf of Mexico at the southern tip of St. Petersburg.