I have a new BFF (best friend forever).
Captain G.J. Reese of Team RV, the world’s largest air show team, treated me to one of the most beautiful flights I’ve ever experienced last Friday. The team was in town to show off their precision formation flying and formation aerobatics in the Pensacola Beach Airshow, and I was lucky enough to snag a pre-show flight with the awesome aviator. We soared over Pensacola Beach in formation with eight other members of the 12-pilot team.
Take a peek at the stunning bird’s-eye views!
Want to enjoy a Pensacola aerial adventure, too? Team RV isn’t based out of Pensacola, but you can enjoy an introductory flight with Pensacola Aviation for only $90.
What! You say you haven’t been to Pensacola? That’s as sad as a surfer without a swell, because it’s as sweet as a springtime strawberry.
· Wide, white-sand beaches, nestled against the gulf’s emerald-colored waters. Pensacola Beach parking is free.
· The National Naval Aviation Museum, which is fascinating and huge. It lets you get up-close and touch many of the planes – and even climb in some of them! Admission is free.
· A boatload of water sports, like parasailing and jet-skiing.
· Shopping and dining.
· A historic downtown, complete with charming brick streets, restaurants, boutiques and nightlife.
· Fort Barrancas. Besides boasting a fascinating history, the fort is a photographer’s dream. It also boasts free admission.
· Fabulous canoeing and float trips. I personally enjoy Adventures Unlimited in nearby Milton.
· Abundant nature and wildlife.
Pensacola is also home to the famed Navy Flight Demonstration Squadron, the Blue Angels. You can watch these bad boys in action for free through November. I’m as serious as a stingray – it’s true!
Just wing over to the viewing area – located on the Museum Flight Line behind the National Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola – for one of their regular practices. Practices begin at 8:30 a.m. and last about an hour on most Tuesday and Wednesday mornings through November 2011. Check out the most current practice schedule here. Following most of the Wednesday practices, you can snag an autograph from members of the Blue Angels inside the Museum.