I’ve got a secret to share with you: It's Perdido Key. Thisis a relatively unknown Florida beach destination that’s right between Pensacola and Alabama. And this place is a GREAT find for families. Here are a few quick facts about Perdido Key to tempt you:
- It’s really inexpensive (especially compared to other beach towns)
- 61% of the island is protected park land
- It’s an authentic, ‘Old Florida’ beach experience
- Snow-white beaches
- Crystal-blue waters
- Perdido Key means ‘Lost Key’ in Spanish – and it really is!
- Bridges link Perdido Key to Florida’s mainland so it's off the beaten path
- Average annual temperature? A balmy 75Ë?
- A whopping 343 days of sunshine each year
Perdido Key sounds great, but what can we do in this lost paradise?
- Ride a Ferris Wheel
- Search for sea shells and sand dollars
- Do hands-on science with your kids at the Gulf Coast Emporium
- Watch the dolphin show at the Ft. Walton Beach Gulfarium
- Ride a lady bug at the state-of-the-art Perdido Kids Park
- Go crabbing at Little Lagoon Pass
- Float down the lazy river at Sam’s Fun City
- Witness a sea turtle hatching
- Visit Gulf Island National Seashore
- Hike a nature trail
If you want some recommendations as to where to stay with your family, write me and let me know. I'll see you there this summer. Enjoy!
Jill Martin, Famiy Insider, VISIT FLORIDA
Sponsored listings by VISIT FLORIDA Partners