Particularly in South Beach, Miami's super-chic hotel scene can be a tiny bit intimidating. So if you're looking for an address in this city of beautiful people that's a little more lowkey without sacrificing any of the style (and don't mind a short drive to the beach), consider the new Hotel Urbano at Brickell.
Located in residential Brickell in downtown Miami, the 65-room hotel has an interesting story. You would never believe it, but the building used to be a Hampton Inn. A total reincarnation at the hands of the new owners has turned the property into a boutique hotel right up there with the best of them. The walls are hung with local art, there's a beautiful pool, and big comfortable rooms with balconies come at a pleasing price (an average of less than $200 a night).
I checked in a few weeks back (rumor had it one of Spain's tennis greats, in town for a tournament, was staying on my floor!) and was really impressed. Here's what's to love:
- Flat screen TVs in the rooms
- Free wireless Internet
- An outdoor pool area with lanais where you can have breakfast or bask in the sun
- A modern fitness center, free for guests
- Pet-friendly (for furry friends under 25 pounds)
- Coffee makers in the rooms stocked with java
- Well-priced meals with latin flair at Bistro Urbano (tostones, steaks, gazpacho and more)
- 12PM check out time instead of the usual 11AM
- Easy access to nearby Key Biscayne
- Cozy fire pit at the poolside lounge
2500 Brickell Ave., Miami
305-856-5055 or 866-384-2997