Contrary to popular belief, Florida was indeed the place of the first European arrival and settlement in America. See if you know the answers to these questions about Florida’s history:
1) In 2009, which city celebrated the 450th anniversary of the first Spanish settlement attempt?
2) What is the name of the first free black community in North America, established north of St. Augustine in 1738?
3) What city will celebrate the 450th anniversary of its founding in 2015?
5) What Spanish explorer observed the first Christmas in Florida in 1539 in present-day Tallahassee?
6) What explorer will be commemorated in 2013 for the 500th anniversary of his arrival and exploration of Florida?
7) Which city is the oldest continuously occupied European settlement in the continental United States?
8) What is the name of the explorer who landed in Pensacola bay in 1559 with his expedition?
9) What Spanish man, tattooed and versed in multiple native languages, was found in 1539 by Desoto to be living among natives, and was part of the expedition of Pánfilo de Narváez?
10.) When and where was the first European Thanksgiving in North America celebrated?
2) Fort Mosé
3) St. Augustine
4) Pedro Menéndez de Avilés
5) Hernando de Soto
6) Juan Ponce de León
7) St. Augustine
8) Tristán de Luna
9) Juan Ortiz
10) September 8, 1565 in St. Augustine